Lessons From Numbers
Numbers 22:12-22 (3/5/20)
Process Over Profit • March 5, 2020 • Benham Brothers
Our focus as business owners should be to honor God with our process, not just to honor Him with our profits. As Christians in business our focus should be on obedience over sacrifice – switching these around makes God an enemy not an ally. Balaam – Numbers 22 - Moab - Balaak (king) was afraid - Balaam was from Pethor, a city on the River, probably the Euphrates. Possibly Pethor was not far from the great city of Mari, discovered in 1933 in the Euphrates Valley. The discovery of a vast number of cuneiform tablets at Mari, beginning in 1933, revealed among other things the existence of a complex cult of prophets and seers whose activities precisely resemble those of Balaam. The fact that he undoubtedly represented the prophetic customs and practices of Mari and vicinity makes possible a better understanding of Balaam’s narrative in Numbers. One power attributed to these prophets was that of pronouncing curses on intended victims. These curses would of course be couched in such qualified language that they were bound to come to pass one way or the other Numbers 22:12 “God said to Balaam, ‘Do not go with them; you shall not curse the people, for they are blessed.” NUMBERS 22 BALAAM blessed the people – but lost it all (Sin of Balaam – Numbers 23) Our focus as business owners should be to honor God with our process, not just to honor Him with our profits. As Christians in business our focus should be on obedience over sacrifice – switching these around makes God an enemy not an ally.
Numbers 1-4 (2/21/19)
Moving Forward • February 21, 2019 • Benham Brothers
* Chap 1 -God had already given the people the law and they had built the tabernacle. * Now it was time for them to move into the Promised Land. * What would they do? * How would they be able to go where God wanted them to go and keep His presence among them? * This is what the book of Numbers is all about. * It’s a book that counts the people and makes them accountable so they could be counted on to fight the battles that were coming! * Numbers is a book of organization! * An organism is something that’s alive because of proper organization. * The foundation is RELATIONSHIP - they were in relationship with God and with each other. * The first item of business was the Tabernacle, which represented God’s presence. * It was the fuel for battle. * Chap 2 - Here in these verses we see very clear separation among the people. They had to remain distinct from each other. But the ultimate goal wasn’t separation, it was oneness. They would come back together “as one” under the name of God to fight the enemy. * Chaps 3-4 - These chaps outline the roles and responsibilities of the Levites in dealing with the Tabernacle (the presence of God). * They erect the boundaries for relationship. * So long as they stayed inside these boundaries they would maintain fellowship with each other and with God.
Numbers 6:2 (2/23/17)
Nazarite Vow • February 23, 2017 • Benham Brothers
* A Nazarite vow was a special vow people could take if they wanted to go deeper with God and express deep devotion to Him. * It’s kindof like Hobby Lobby and Chic-Fil-A not being open on Sunday. * It consisted of three things that we can apply to our lives today if we want to go deeper with God: * 1) No wine to drink - even though wine was ok. * This symbolizes saying “no” to our senses and not indulging our appetites. * 2) No cutting of hair. * This symbolizes not being concerned about outward appearance. * A Nazarite was more concerned with what was going on inside than outside. * 3) Stay away from dead bodies. * This symbolizes staying away from places of death (bars, clubs, etc).
Numbers 6:22-27 (2/23/17)
Blessing • February 23, 2017 • Benham Brothers
* Aaron and his sons, who were the priests of the day, were commanded to bless people. * Today we are priests and we must bless others the same way. * The blessing we should pray over others is five fold - that God would: * 1) Protect them. * 2) Smile on them. * 3) Be gracious to them. * 4) Show them His favor. * 5) Grant them peace. * This will keep us from ever getting bitter toward another human being.
Numbers 8:1-2 (2/28/17)
Shine • February 28, 2017 • Benham Brothers
* The fire of God fell from heaven and consumed the sacrifice, but it didn’t light the lamps. * That was the priest’s job. * The tabernacle had no windows, so it was naturally dark without the lamps lit. * Our world is naturally dark, and it’s our job as priests to keep our lights shining. * The priests were to keep the lights continually lit. How? * 1) Keep them filled with oil - represents the Holy Spirit. * 2) Turn them toward the table of showbread - represents shining our light on Christ so others may see Him.
Numbers 8:24-26 (2/28/17)
Good Leadership • February 28, 2017 • Benham Brothers
* John Maxwell - “The best leaders hand the baton off at top speed.” * Look at how the priesthood was run. * On the front end they had to be mature enough to handle the mantle of leadership - 25 years old. * On the bak end they had to be mature enough to hand it off - 50 years old. * In this way the older would train the younger. * The priest had 25 years to serve before his responsibility moved toward mentorship.
Numbers 9:15-23 (3/20/14)
Follow the Cloud • March 20, 2014 • Benham Brothers
God led the people by using a Cloud - that was a sign of His presence. Today everything is moving to The Cloud. It represents you (everything you have is in it - pics, credit cards, social interaction, etc). Man's cloud is meant to follow / God's cloud is meant to lead. We can't ever let our cloud do the leading. God's Cloud didn't come and rest among them until the Tabernacle was erected. The tabernacle represents us - after Jesus' death our bodies became His temple. The cloud represents the Holy Spirit. We are to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit just as these people followed the leading of the Cloud. The Cloud would not rest on the tabernacle unless it was built properly and fully clean. The Holy Spirit will lead us but we must remain clean.
Numbers 9:21-23 (3/5/15)
Waiting on God • March 5, 2015 • Benham Brothers
God led the Israelites by a cloud in the day and a fire at night. When the cloud would stop they would set up shop (the tabernacle). The cloud would descend and they would stay there until it lifted. When it lifted they would pack up the tabernacle and their houses and move until it stopped again. Here's the cool part - God never told them how long they would stay in one place or where they were going. They simply had to follow His lead and then be faithful right where He placed them. They had to wait on Him. In the process of waiting they learned to trust in Him. Actively waiting - while waiting we're busy being faithful.
Numbers 10:2 (2/28/17)
Trump • February 28, 2017 • Benham Brothers
* The making of trumpets was the last command God gave Moses on Mt. Sinai. * Trumpets were used for several reasons: * 1) To call the community together (vs 2). * 2) To get them moving forward (vs 2). * 3) Announced special celebrations (Lev 25). * 4) Prepared troops for battle (Num 31). * 5) Reminded God to give them victory in battle (Num 10). * 6) Reminded them of God’s covenant with them (Num 10). * Today we have a “Trump” in the White House. * What is God saying?
Numbers 10:29 (2/28/17)
A Blessed Nation • February 28, 2017 • Benham Brothers
* Psalms 33:12 - “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord.” * God blesses people individually when He blesses nations corporately. * If a nation makes God its Lord, the citizens will be blessed. * In America, look how many other religions can exist here in freedom because we were established as one nation under God. * What does it mean for a nation to make God Lord? * It means to operate under His authority. * America is “one nation under God.” * The founders put us under God’s authority - He gave us rights and the govt protects those rights. * This leads to freedom for everyone - even those who hate God.
Numbers 11:4-6 (3/1/18)
Loss of Appetite • March 1, 2018 • Benham Brothers
* The people were tired of manna - they were no longer content. * They began to crave something else. * Rejecting God’s provision is rejecting God. * Why? Because manna came directly from Him. * We can apply this in two ways: * 1) To the Church. * Look at our churches today - we don’t feed the solid bread of life like we used to because people are craving something different. * Feeding on God’s Word may feel dry, but it’s life is beyond parallel. * 2) To us personally. * We operate out of a spirit of discontent - we become ungrateful as we crave other things. * So what does God do? He gives us what we want. * And how does that work out? * vs 33-34 - “Kibroth Hattaavah” means “graves of craving.” * God will give you the desire of your heart if you insist on having something He doesn’t want for you. * But it will be the death of you. * The more we feed on the Bread of Life (Jesus) the more we’ll stay away from craving what we ought not crave.
Num 11:7 (4/4/13)
Our Part • April 4, 2013 • Benham Brothers
Num 11:7 - Our Part Manna didn't come to the edge of their tents Manna came as a seed God provides the material, we provide the labor Luke 7:2-10 - Value Creator Slave was healed based upon his master's faith The master wanted his healing because of his extraordinary Value! The slave didn't even need to have faith - he was rewarded by his Master's faith! Profit chases a value-creator, and what's more profitable than an extension of your life?
Numbers 11:33-34 (2/28/19)
Pursuit • February 28, 2019 • Benham Brothers
* Even before the people put one bite in their mouth the Lord got ticked. * Why? * Because in verse 32 we see them pursuing it even though God didn’t want it. * They knew God provided manna but that wasn’t good enough. * This was a slap in His face. * So He gave them what they wanted - and took it with zeal. * They had more zeal for doing what was wrong than doing what was right. * They were more zealous to fulfill their appetites than to obey the Lord. * Is there anything you’ve been begging God for? * Don’t forget Garth Brooks - Unanswered Prayer!