The Story of Redemption • April 24, 2016 • Benham Brothers
- Redeem means “to set free by paying a price" - it's about LOVE. - KEY - Only those who receive this love WTC will experience this freedom. - The book of RUTH is a physical picture of this redeeming love - it's a love story. - BEGIN With The End In Mind - Matt 1:5. - See where you want to be and work backward. - Our scene is BETHLEHEM. - PART 1: (1:1-5) - Famine - Two Types: - 1) God’s leading - He’s moving you to another place. - 2) God’s judgment - He’s punishing for sin. - Pattern - Untruth, Unfaith, Disobedience, Death / Truth, Faith, Obedience, Life. - Which pattern will you choose? - Naomi tells the girls to go find husbands...... - PART 2: (1:14-18) - WTC! - Ruth clung to Naomi - she LOVED Naomi and placed her FAITH in God. - Law - no Moabite could enter the congregation, but Ruth placed her faith in God. - Ruth wasn’t focused on her stuff - she was focused on God and Naomi. - God was busy taking care of Ruth’s stuff in the background. - Naomi and Ruth return to Bethlehem...... - PART 3: (2:1-7) - Work is Worship. - Ruth was a producer, not a consumer - Boaz was watching. - Boaz returns the favor done to his mother, Rahab....... - PART 4: (2:8-15) - Divine Attraction. - They were attracted to each other’s CHARACTER first. - They were drawn to qualities you CAN CONTROL, not those you can’t control. - Nowhere do we see a mention of Ruth’s or Boaz’s physical features. - Naomi tells Ruth that Boaz is a kinsman redeemer....... - PART 5: (3:1-9) - The Plan. - She approached him - we must approach Jesus. - Spread Your Wings (2:12) - The very thing he attributed to God she now attributed to him! - Boaz wants to redeem them....... - PART 6: (3:11-14) - Die To Your Dream. - Boaz wanted Ruth, but he was willing to die to her. - He did what was right even when his emotions were going crazy. - vs 14 - he never touched her - true love WAITS. - Boaz sits in the gate........ - PART 7: (4:1-10) - Fulfillment of A Dream. - Vs 4:13 & 17 - Ruth becomes the mother of Obed - Jesse - David..........JESUS!
Ruth 1:14 (5/8/13)
Kiss or Cling • May 8, 2013 • Benham Brothers
A woman having a husband was everything in those days * Ruth was more interested in Naomi's God and taking care of Naomi than she was about getting a husband God looked favorably upon Ruth - we hear no more about Orpah Orpah kissed Naomi, but Ruth clung to her Are we just kissing Jesus or clinging? God was watching out for Ruth
Ruth 2:1 (4/18/19)
Rahab • April 18, 2019 • Benham Brothers
* Remember Rahab? A non-Jewish woman in Canaan and a former prostitute who clung to faith in God and was spared death in Jericho. * She was married to Salmon, who was the father of Boaz (some believe she was the grandmother of Boaz). * Boaz most likely grew up hearing the story of what God did and how He spared her even though she wasn’t a Jew. * So when Ruth showed up Boaz didn’t see a Moabite woman who shouldn’t be a part of the Jews. (Deuteronomy 23:3 - “No Ammonite or Moabite or any of their descendants should enter into the assembly of the Lord, even to the 10th generation) * He saw a woman a lot like his mom (or grandmother) who placed her faith in God and needed mercy just as she did. * Just as the City of Jericho was doomed for destruction, yet God spared one faithful family. * Ruth the Moabite was allowed into the assembly just as Rahab the Canaanite because of her faith. * Faith transforms people - God no longer saw Ruth as a Moabite or Rahab as a Canaanite - He saw them as His kids! * Boaz was uniquely prepared for Ruth, so now we have this great love story. * Their marriage produced Obed, who had a son named Jesse, who had a boy named David who became king in Israel. * Until David’s progeny produced a king named JESUS!
Ruth 2:5 (4/18/19)
Good Business Culture • April 18, 2019 • Benham Brothers
* Look at how Boaz led his organization - “The Lord be with you!” * This phrase created a culture of love, loyalty, and respect. * This phrase shows us a two-fold plan for creating a great culture in your business: * 1) Focus on God - it starts with “the Lord.” * Recognizing God in your company is key - making sure you and your employees know you are all there for Him. * 2) Focus on people - “be with YOU!” * When your employees, co-workers, customers, and clients know you’re all about them they will love you, respect you, and be loyal to you…. * Even when you mess up! * When your goal is to bless the people around you because you’re doing it for the Lord, He will bless them through you! * He’ll use you as the conduit through which to shower blessings on people. * This will change any business culture.
Ruth 3:3 (4/26/18)
Attraction • April 26, 2018 • Benham Brothers
* This is a great picture for young people to see how Boaz and Ruth began their relationship. * Ruth first established herself as a woman of character. * This is what first attracted Boaz. * If you want to attract the right person BE the right person. * Notice that advice Naomi gave to Ruth about how to attract her man: * 1) Smell good - don’t let any foul odor come from you. * If you stink you detract, not attract - this includes attitude! * Renewal - Take a bath (take off the old) and put on perfume (put on the new). * 2) Look good - don’t look a mess! * Your outward appearance shouldn’t turn him away. * A cheerful look makes the heart glad. * Be happy! How you present yourself on the outside affects the inside. * 3) Go to where the Godly man is. * You won’t find the right person in the wrong place. * 4) Time it right - the right thing done at the wrong time is wrong. * Don’t rush things - all things are beautiful in their time. * If you’re in the right place around the right people the right time will come. * vs 7 - Ruth took her mother-in-law’s advice and she was eternally rewarded - she was the great grandmother of the greatest king who ever lived.
Ruth 3:12 (5/14/14)
Dying to Self • May 14, 2014 • Benham Brothers
Boaz had great wealth and yet he slept in his barn during harvest with the other workers. He took notice of Ruth and what an amazing woman she was - he found himself falling in love with her. When Ruth presented herself to him he responded that someone else had the right to her and Naomi. OUCH! Boaz was willing to let go of the one thing he wanted to bad! Boaz died to his right to have Ruth. In chapter 4 Boaz assembles a congregation and presents Naomi's case to her closest kinsman and he says he'll take her land. This had to sting Boaz! But ultimately God turned the table. How did God reward Boaz for dying to himsel? He let him have her! Boaz - birth of a vision, death of a vision, fulfillment of a vision - and now Boaz & Ruth became the great grandparents of David and even greater grandparents of JESUS CHRIST! Observation: 1) He waited for the opportunity - he didn't go out and pursue it. 2) He gave up the opporunity when it came - he died to what he wanted.
Ruth 4:1-4 (4/26/18)
Closing the Deal • April 26, 2018 • Benham Brothers
* In real estate a deal can’t happen without a ready, willing, and able buyer. * 1) Ready - they are prepared to buy - they don’t have anything lingering that would cause them to not close on the house. * The time has to be right - the right thing at the wrong time is wrong. * 2) Willing - they have to “want” the house - they don’t need to buy what they don’t want. * Buying involves sacrifice - giving something of value to receive something of greater value. * 3) Able - this is the kicker for most buyers - they have to be able to afford the place they are ready and willing to buy. * If there’s not enough money they don’t get the house. * Being “able” means you have the capacity to follow through and see a task to completion. * These go hand-in-hand with a man looking to marry a woman. * When God brought the right woman Boaz was ready, willing, and able. * 1) The time was right. * 2) He was willing to make the sacrifice. * 3) He was able to provide for her and start a family. * He worked hard to build a business while he was waiting for a wife. * So when she showed up he had no problem closing the deal! * Young men need to live like this so when God says JUMP they can JUMP!