* vs 42 - Jesus called out these spiritual leaders for tithing but ignoring justice and the love of God.
* He told them that justice and loving God were “more important” than tithing.
* It looks like this - what’s more important, witnessing to a person or stopping a person who’s about to kill someone?
* Stopping murder, which is exercising justice, is more important in that instance.
* Proverbs 19:28 - "A worthless witness mocks at justice....."
* Today, Satan distracts us with “do-gooder” causes, like digging wells, providing clean water, educational programs, etc.
* All of these are “good” things and should be done.
* But we can’t neglect what’s more important - standing for those who cannot stand for themselves.
* To refuse to do anything about the murder of innocent babies while doing these things puts us in the same boat as the Pharisees Christ rebuked.
* vs 43 - Here’s the key - if we stand for justice we forfeit the praise of people.
* The Pharisees liked the praise of people so they were quiet about certain things in order to stay in their good graces.
* vs 47-48 - Jesus tells them they build monuments to the prophets their fathers killed.
* And by doing this they condemn themselves.
* This would be like building a monument for those killed in the holocaust while refusing to do anything about our own holocaust - it’s a condemnation in itself.
* vs 52 - Jesus ends the rebuke by telling these leaders they have withheld the key of understanding from the people by doing this.
* They loved the praise of people so much they gave the people what they wanted to hear and not what they needed to hear, and ultimately it cost them all the kingdom of GOd.
* We need this rebuke today!